logo
You are Logged Out | Member Login
Emergency
Hotline
(631) 581-5437
Saturday, October 31, 2020
Overnight: Areas of frost with a low of 34
Search:
 


Email Newsletter Signup






Fall Safety

Summer is over and fall is upon us. The air is crisp and Long Island turns beautiful red yellow and orange hues as far as the eye can see! With proper precautions, you and your family can enjoy this beautiful season while staying safe.

FURNACES

  • Clean your air vents before starting your heating system for the first time
  • Change all air filters every 1-2 months
  • Have your furnace inspected by a professional
  • Keep the area around your furnace clean and free of dust and debris
  • Keep all items at least 3 feet away from the furnace
 

SPACE HEATERS

  • Place the heater on a hard, flat surface
  • Never leave a space heater unattended when its running. 
  • Plug space heaters directly into an outlet. Using an extension cord with space heaters increases the chance of overheating, fires, and electrical injuries.
  • Shut the unit OFF and unplug it when not in use
  • Keep children and pets AWAY from space heaters!
  • Read the owner's manual that came with your unit

 

CANDLES

Candles can fill a room with fragrance and add a warm ambiance, but candles cause over 8,500 home fires every year. Following these safety tips can help prevent a devastating fire in your home.

  • NEVER leave a burning candle unattended
  • Keep children and pets AWAY from burning candles
  • Place candles up high on stable furniture where children and pets cannot knock them over
  • Make sure candles are fully extinguished before leaving the house or going to bed
  • Keep candles away from drafts and open windows
  • Keep candles away from curtains, clothing, bedding, holiday decorations, paper, books, flammable liquids, lampshades and other combustibles
  • NEVER touch or move a lit candle or while the wax is still liquefied.
  • Keep wicks trimmed to 1/4 inch at all times

 

         

FIREPLACES

  • Get your chimney inspected and cleaned by a certified chimney specialist every fall
  • Install a chimney cap to prevent leaves and animals from getting into your chimney
  • Open the damper or flue before starting a fire, and keep it open until the fire is out to draw smoke out of the house.
  • Clean out ashes from previous fires. Levels of ash at the base of the fireplace should be kept to 1 inch or less
  • NEVER leave a fire burning unattended. Make sure the fire is fully extinguished before going to bed. If you leave the room while a fire is burning, take children and pets with you
  • Don't place anything potentially flammable within 3 feet of the fireplace. This includes furniture, curtains, books, newspapers, etc.
  • Keep glass doors open while the fire is burning
  • Use a fireplace screen to keep sparks and debris inside the fireplace, and children and pets AWAY from the fire
  • Use dry and well-aged wood. Wet or green wood causes more smoke and contributes to soot buildup in the chimney

ALWAYS HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER CLOSE BY!
In the event of a fire, CALL 911 IMMEDIATELY - BEFORE TRYING TO EXTINGUISH IT YOURSELF.
fire can double in size every 30 seconds, and engulf your entire home within MINUTES

Learn how to keep your Pets safe during the fall!

Return to Home Page

Home | PUBLIC EDUCATION | Kids' Quarters! | Our History | Join ITFD | News | BOFC | Chiefs | Companies | Benevolent | Photos | Contact Us | Links | FAQ's | Member Area
Designed & Hosted by Infrastructure Solutions, Inc.